Friday, October 20, 2006

Trapped in the elevator!

Had another medical appointment today. Traffic was a bit hectic so was 5 minutes behind schedule (I usually like to arrive 10 mins early because they make you pee in a cup every time and also I don't want elevated blood pressure readings due to stressful driving). So arrived 5 minutes prior to my appointment, but got stuck in the elevator! The maintenance crew said they'd be coming "shortly" and my cell phone didn't work in the elevator, so I couldn't let my doctor's office know! So I just tried to relax on the floor of the elevator, and then 10 minutes later the door just opened and so I got out of there and took the stairs (doctor's office is on the 3rd floor). It wasn't a problem at all, but I still felt flustered! My BP was 110/70 (normal), so it mustn't have been THAT stressful! Baby was calm too, heartbeat was only 140 beats per minute.

I got checked for dilation, but unfortunately my cervix had closed up since last week! So the doctor did the cervical stretching again, this time to 1.5 cm. Was advised to keep an eye open for labour signs within the next 24-48 hours. Also I'm booked for an ultrasound on Thursday or Friday just to make sure the baby is OK (enough amniotic fluid, good placenta exchange, etc). If the ultrasound shows that the baby isn't doing so good, then will be induced right away, so I guess we will be taking our hospital bags to the ultrasound clinic in case they say "umm....better go to the hospital now!". If everything looks fine but I'm not going into labour yet, my induction will start on the evening of October 29th with a gel application and then on the 30th an oxytocin IV, which should get the ball rolling within 12 hours or so. So....if I do need to be induced it's looking like we could definitely have a Halloween baby!

No comments: