Friday, September 21, 2007

The First 30 Minutes

It's been 30 minutes since Cam and I dropped Chance off at the day home. When we got there, the house was dark, but there was a light on over the doorstep. So we rang the doorbell.

Nothing happened.

Then the door swung open and a man, presumably Mrs. G's husband, said that they were a bit unprepared for such an early start.

Crap. It was 7:05 AM.

Of course we had discussed when we'd like to drop Chance off when we visited Mrs. G a few weeks ago, but when I set up these 2 days of practice day care for Chance, I guess it wasn't understood that we would be doing the day just like it were a regular day of work.

Anyways, Mrs. G took Chance from me, I handed over the little baby backpack filled with diapers and lunch and extra clothes. I stroked Chance on the head one last time before closing the door behind me. It took me a loooong time to close the screen door. Cam was waiting by the truck.

I took Cam to the C-train station and dropped him off, then went to deposit our recycling into the city bins. The bags of milk cartons and tin cans had been sitting in Cam's truck box overnight, got rained on, and then they froze, so my hands felt like shredded meat by the time I was done. There was a Starbucks across the parking lot, so I went in and ordered a big foamy coffee. The last time I was in a Starbucks, it was -30° outside and I was meeting with the RGH moms with a 2 month old baby, still feeling as awkward toting around that little bundle as I do now without him.

Well I am going to go get organized for today's lasagna-thon. I will be going to the Y in about an hour for a kickboxing class, that will get my thoughts off Chance for an hour or so.

I'm really really really trying not to phone Mrs. G right now. Really.

No comments: