Thursday, September 20, 2007

Days Like This

What a morning it has been. It all started at FIVE A.M. when our carbon monoxide detector went off. I went to check it out and it turns out all it wanted was a new battery. I tried to pry the lid off the battery compartment only to find that it was jammed. Meanwhile the alarm is going off. I bee-lined for the door in order to take it apart outside, where (I hoped) the alarm wouldn't wake up Chance. I finally got the battery door open and went to work on the batteries themselves, which proved difficult while you're freezing your buns off in bare feet and a housecoat. Mission accomplished, I opened the door and went back inside.

I listened, and all was quiet, except for the pad-pad-pad of Scarlet's feet as she approached from the hallway. She wanted breakfast. NOW. With Scarlet screaming her fool head off, I went back downstairs to fill her kitty dish. I closed the door behind me. Scarlet would be fine with her breakfast, her litter box, and plenty of dirty laundry to curl up in if she wanted to go back to bed. No sense having her playing with kitty toys and waking up Chance at 5:30 in the morning.

Just as I passed Chance's door on the way to our bedroom, I heard a squeaky "aaaahhh???". It sounded like the noise that Who makes in the Grinch cartoon. Chance was up. Just count to ten...he'll wind down on his own, I thought to myself. I counted to 10. Chance wound himself up to a full blown cry in 10 seconds flat. I cuddled with him until he got drowsy again, and then gave him his soother and blankie and popped him back into his crib.

Wearily, I stripped the housecoat off and crawled back into bed. Cameron made an annoyed sound. Mmmf. I bit my lip and rolled over, giving the covers a selfish tug for good measure. Nine minutes later, Cam's alarm clock went off. I must have fallen asleep right after that, because I don't remember him leaving.

The next thing I knew, the phone was ringing. The answering machine picked up and it was my friend Nickie, who I was supposed to meet for a walk this morning. I lurched out of bed, shocked to see it was 8:45! Nickie was cancelling the walk due to her daughter's cold, that was OK, but the trash hadn't been set out yet and also the cleaners were coming in 15 minutes to get acquainted with the house (i.e. where's the vacuum?) and also get a key. Chance was awake, babbling in his crib. I was tearing around the house like a madwoman.

I managed to put out the trash, shower, tidy the house somewhat (dirty laundry on floor, fish out the dirty diaper soaking in the toilet, etc!) nurse and change Chance's diaper and get myself dressed before the cleaning lady showed up. Whew! The whole time she was here Chance was tearing around the house in his jammies and screaming. Not crying, but just yelling and laughing and acting like a monkey. I was distracted and forgot to give the key to her, I will have to figure something out.

I got Chance's breakfast fixed and ate my oatmeal with him. Drank tea. Did dishes. Breathed.

Around 11:30 Chance's high spirits abruptly changed to dispair. He was past due for a nap, but I wanted to keep him awake so that: 1) he takes a good quality nap this afternoon and 2) he is sufficiently tired at bedtime so that Cameron has no problems putting him to sleep. I am going to Mise En Place tonight with a group of ladies, to put together a few weeks' worth of freezer meals. Anyways, my already frazzled nerves were starting to twang, so I packed him into his car seat and I went to get my mug shots passport photos taken.

I love naptime. It's a good time to reflect and regroup.

I'd like to say that tomorrow morning will be better....but it's the first day at the day home for Chance. My bets are on me being an emotional wreck, forgetting to pack something that Chance will need and getting a phone call from Mrs. G...."Chance is upset and I think it would be better if you looked for alternative day care.....". Yeesh.

1 comment:

Sander & Liesbeth said...

Wow, danielle, your proze really recreates your mood. I can hear you craving for some air to breath.

Wish you a nice sleep tonight and tomorrow morning.