Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Road Reviews

Here are the food reviews from this week's travel to Meadow Lake:

The Stop Spot - Killam, Alberta (negative 3 out of 5 stars)
Possibly the dirtiest place I have ever eaten ever. Neither the men's nor the women's bathrooms had soap. A pancake breakfast was served by a surly waitress/chef under fluorescent lighting on a high chair that had never seen a clean washcloth. Mom and Dad reported that the coffee was cold. Mom claimed that her pancakes were poorly mixed and tasted like onions and was unable to finish. After eating 1 pancake and a sausage, there was enough time to stretch my legs in the otherwise deserted restaurant. Mom wonders if they will be closing soon (3 old guys and us were the clientele at 10 AM coffee row).

The Farm House Family Restaurant - St. Walburg, Saskatchewan (4 of 5 stars)
Warm and cozy restaurant-hotel nestled into the forest town of St. Walburg. We missed the lunch rush due to the time change at the border, but the place had several tables lingering over lunch. Clean washrooms. Mom washed her hands 3 times, while I amused myself with a silk flower arrangement. Excellent grilled cheese and french fries. Mom supplied the broccoli and pears. Mom and Dad claimed their curry-chicken soup was very good and finished off my meal for me.

Glenna's Kitchen @ the Petro Can - Innisfree, Alberta (3 of 5 stars)
Spectacular view of Birch Lake from the top of a hill. Mom and Dad frequently stopped here before I was born, apparently, however never ate breakfast. Dad ordered the "trucker's special" French toast platter, again with sausage which was served butterflied. Very tasty. I even used a fork. Bonus points for staff friendliness and overhead fans. Negative points for the terribly dirty carpet, which I was not allowed to explore on hands and knees. Instead, Mom "showed" me the snow out the window. As we left, a rig crew came in off their shift, indicating that either this is the only place in town to eat or that it's their favorite place to fuel up for the next 24.

Boston Pizza - Drumheller, Alberta (3 of 5 stars)
Unable to stomach another trucker meal, Mom and Dad erred on the safe side for lunch. We all ordered the spaghetti lunch special, except Mom wanted a chunky pasta so that I could pick it up myself. They brought spaghetti. The waitress was gracious and returned with the correct pasta in a few minutes. Meanwhile I strained like horses to tear into Dad's meal. My parents tried to placate me with garlic toast. It was at this meal that I first experienced crayons. My favorite was red and blue. The green failed to impress. Dad finished my activity puzzles for me.



















"Every meal is worth critiquing, who knows, it may be your last" - Chance R. Demmans

No comments: