Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Damn You Rachael Ray


I have been watching Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals on the Food Network off and on since I've been on maternity leave. Rachael has got this nifty little trick about using a garbage bowl on your cupboard and everything that's garbage goes into the bowl, then you dump the bowl in the garbage when you're done, saving you lots of steps back and forth in your kitchen, plus drips on your floor, etc.


Well, I was cooking away, feeling pretty darn proud of myself for remembering to use the garbage bowl trick. It's a real time/mess saver in a kitchen like mine, which is spread out.


Rach also has this other trick about taking the seeds out of jalepeno peppers, which apparently cuts down on the heat. We're having company with kids for dinner tonight, and I thought a full-bodied chili with jalapenos might be a tinch too spicy for them. So out came the seeds, and into the garbage bowl they went. Neat.


I was washing the dishes up later when I realized that the jalepeno juice was still on my hands. HOLY MOSES, do my fingers ever burn. When's the last time you googled "touched jalepeno pepper help"???


There are various antidotes listed online, all of which seem to contradict each other. "Use soap, don't use soap, use hot water, use cold water, etc!" Anyways it seems that I am hooped for 6-12 hours. I did find, however that using room-temperature cooking oil seemed to help lessen the pain somewhat, and rubbing hands with baking soda and water paste.


Chance started to really cry a few minutes after I realized what had happened and I was scared that I had touched the peppers and then touched him, but it seems that he just needed his susu. It's getting close to nap time. We're going to go cuddle in the rocking chair now.


No comments: