Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Little Miss Rashy and Flaky


Karin's really broken out in a head-to-toe rash...it's actually just dry chapped skin, Chance developed something similar around the same age. It is worse in her elbows and backs of her knees, as well as under her chin, where the skin rubs. She loves being in her bath, it must feel good on her skin but when we take her out we put a fragrance free kids' formula lotion specifically designed for skin prone to eczema and she just howls, it must sting. We'll try something else, as it obviously causes her pain -- I know that stingy feeling when my hands are dry, I can't imagine what it would feel like if it was my whole body. I am going to wash all her clothes in fragrance free soap, etc. and see if that helps. She is already using gentle baby wash, not even shampoo. We cut out using the lovely baby lotion given to her by her Auntie Rennal...Cam started using it as hand cream for himself and I told him to stop as I was leaking milk every time I caught a whiff of it!

On top of being rashy, she is flaky -- dandruff. I spend the good part of most nursings with a fine tooth comb picking out flakes from her hair, it makes me feel like a mama ape.


Chance also has a rash....but it's self-induced. Carpet burn above his left eyebrow, from tumbling down the last 2 steps as he as heading downstairs to look for a toy car. I half-suspect that he actually fell down on purpose, as he had been scolded for pestering me to find it for him. I ordered him to go downstairs, as I knew he had been playing with his cars down there, and said to go look for himself, I wasn't his slave. Now when he is going down the stairs he always gets a stern reminder to hang on to the railing, unless he wants another face rash.

2 comments:

Noah and Emily said...

For the rash, Noah and Payton get Eczema and we have had great success with the Aveeno Eczema lotion that we slather on after bathtime. It has never stung them as I also use it on my hands as I get ezcema on some spots and it has never stung. They also have a good aveeno bath soap as well. For the dry flaky skin, is it on her scalp? Put on some baby oil, massage it in for about 10 minutes and then comb out the flakes! Thought I would share what worked on my three babies, although everyone is different!

Mouland Family said...

hahahahaha - I empathize with you:)