Thursday, June 28, 2007

"I have a bear on my doorstep!"


Those were the first words out of my mouth while I was on the phone with the police. Then it occured to me that they might think I meant a REAL bear. Here's the deal:

Monday afternoon my neighbour Juanita dropped off a Stuffed Bear wearing a back pack. Inside the back pack was a log book, detailing the Bear's journey. The Bear is originally from Toronto, it seems. Also in the back pack were 2 disposable cameras and an envelope of money and cheques. The idea is that you make a donation, then pass the Bear on to someone you know, who passes it on to someone they know, etc.

I thought it seemed to sweet to be real, so I followed up on the registration number provided on the Govt. of Canada's website. No luck. I phoned them, and the Ontario government. Still no luck. So here I am with a dumb stuffed Bear and a bunch of other people's money. Without a valid registration number I'm not going to donate and I'm certainly not going to pass the Bear on! I was told to contact the local police.

The police officer on the line said to bring the bear in to the nearest police detachment. So....the Bear is going to jail!

2 comments:

Mouland Family said...

Glad to hear that you followed up on this Dani! Proud of you - imagine how many people just took it for granted that this was real.

Danielle said...

We are family #53 in the bear's log book. People have been writing down their donations and the average donation is $10. There was only $75 in the bear's back pack, but when I phoned the "organizer" of the charity, she said people have been sending her the money as it collects & would I mind sending in the cash after I pass on the bear.