Sunday, September 24, 2006

Baby Shower

Yesterday was my baby shower. My friend Lynne organized the whole thing - from electronic invitations to the food to the decorations & games! She even did a bunch of baby research to put the games together and talked with other moms to figure out what I didn't have yet & would need for the baby so that she had a list ready for people who needed gift ideas! I am truly touched at all the work she went through!

There were a total of 13 people present at the shower - from 2 circles of friends: work and university, as well as Cameron's sister Rennal. Everyone mingled well and before long the whole house was full of laughter! One of the guests brought her 1 and a half year old son, who was taken with the kitty cat and vice versa. At first, however, the little boy wasn't so sure and when Scarlet went in for a head rub, he backed himself up against a wall & when he realized he had no where else to go he panicked and SCREAMED. BIG tears, but he was still pretty curious, so his mom and I PROPERLY introduced him to the cat - they were friends after that.

Everyone was so generous - I think we have the clothes we need now and even a few toys, books, etc! Also received some blankets and a little Eskimo suit to keep Baby warm through until the really cold winter days hit. A very special gift was a glass picture frame with the word "family" written below where the picture goes - that got me very choked up. I know Cam is my family but it seemed so emotionally significant that we will be family to this little baby! Some very practical gifts too: a hygiene kit & small containers of baby supplies for the diaper bag, bath towels with little hoods and a Saskatchewan Roughriders Gainer piggybank to start Baby's savings plan! A few gift certificates as well, to the GAP, the Bay and Bo Bebe, which is a store located in my neighbourhood which sells "the best" diaper cream. There was even a "for mommy" gift of a little tea pot (makes 1 cup at a time) and some delicious-smelling peppermint tea.

Everyone left around 5 or 5:30 and I think the house was cleaner than when everyone arrived! There was some fruit and veggies left over which just got put in the fridge so Cameron and I have been snacking on those leftovers. Today the weather is supposed to co-operate and so I think I will thin out my perennial flower bed and take them over to Lynne's house. Cameron is gone to the core lab with a colleague - they just cut a new core so have to go quality check it. He should be back in an hour or so. Then we are going to go shopping for a little while, not too long. The plan is to return in time for the Roughrider game this afternnon, I'll go do my gardening then.

A man at Cameron's workplace brought his 1-month old daughter in for a show&tell at work on Thursday or Friday - Cam got to hold her and since then he has been very excited about our immenent arrival. This morning he was holding my belly feeling the baby kick, he was practically begging me to have the baby as early as possible - like I have anything to do with it! This baby is going to come out when it's ready. Friday's appointment with Dr. Tupper revealed that the baby is still high (from all the heartburn, that was pretty obvious), and no effacement/dilation yet. :( I had been hoping for some progress, especially since there have been a few whopper Braxton-Hicks contractions.

No comments: