Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Two 10K races this week

This week Cam and I both ran our first 10K races.  I ran mine at the Calgary Corporate Challenge with my work colleagues.  We took the silver medal for the event, I can't believe it!  The first kilometer was equal parts terrifying and eerie: I was scared that I would get left in the dust immediately and it was so strange to have a perfectly quiet run with nearly 1000 people.  Very intense!  It was about 500 m into the run when I realized that I was breathing up in my throat and had to refocus on getting air down through my lungs.  Nerves!  The day was foggy and overcast when the race started but it quickly got sunny & humid!  I was WAY too hot in my long sleeved shirt - learnings for next time.  Which is funny, because when I crossed the finish line my only thought was "NEVER again!"  I think next year I'll give it a go again, and hopefully beat my time of 55 min 37 seconds!
 

 My colleague Jeff, who stayed back with me and made sure I didn't over-pace myself out of the race and talked me through the tough spots.  What a great team member!  He also offered me a nasty tasting sport gel pack that nearly made me lose my breakfast at the 8km mark!  Things to learn for next time! This is 9.5 km into the race and I am DYING!
 
Team TAQA, pre-race: Sean, Phil, me, Jody
 
 Cam's 10K route in Eau Claire.  Gorgeous day for a race.  200 runners in the CSPG race.  The kids and I grabbed a sandwich and ate in the park while we waited for Cam to come past.
 Go Cam, go!  The kids were so proud to see their dad running at his top speed.  Cam finished the course in 44 minutes!
 

No comments: