Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pedal faster, Barbie!

Friday was my first day of spinning (cycling) in 2 weeks. It is great that the class instructor is back, however I feel rather large atop the bike, in my skinny bike shorts and slim cycling shirt. There were some new girls in the class, barbie-doll types. I found considerable comfort in the fact that I could still pedal faster and harder than they could.

I start my yoga classes next week. I decided to drop one cycling class in favor of a yoga class. It is something that I've always wanted to try, and now that I will be soon losing access to the company gym, I figured I should do it before I leave in October. Additionally, a lot of my baby books recommend yoga for expecting mothers as the breathing and stretching is really good training for labour (seriously!). I think the meditation part will be good too, for later when the baby is crying all the time. :)

On Monday I have a doctor's appointment in the afternoon. The doctor will do all the regular monthly checkup stuff, weight, bloodpressure, palpitation, etc. Also, he will set up a Doppler machine which will allow the baby's heartbeat to be heard. Cameron is coming too - I checked with the doctor's office and they are happy to have Cam accompany me on my appointment. In fact, they seemed happy to be able to meet him! The receptionist/nurse there is really sweet - she is the doctor's wife too. For as long as I have been going there, every time I leave she always tells me that she thinks that I am "so cute".

Unofficial weigh-in at the gym on Friday was 133 lbs (last month I was 131 lbs at the doctor's office). This puts me at a total 5 lbs gained. Most pregnant women have gained 8-12 lbs by now, according to the books I have, however there is a big caveat on your frame size, activity level, metabolism & what kind of foods you are eating.

Waist now measures 32" (33" after dinner!). Clothes that I can still button up: one pair of grey flannel pants and one pair of brown pinstripe pants and a black skirt for work. Casual clothes: my stretchy, lower-waisted jeans, sweat pants & my exercise clothes (stretchy stretchy!). All other pants must be secured with a blue broccoli-bunch elastic band from button hole to button, and paired with a long top in order to conceal the rubber band.

Shorter tops now have a tendancy to creep up, so a big "thank you" to my cousin Jocelyn who, for Christmas, gave me a lovely green long sleeve tee which is quite long waisted! A big "thank you" goes to my friend Anne too. Anne is expecting as well (due in August), and received a pile of mat. clothes from a coworker - some are too short for her, so she is passing them on to me - very nice!

No comments: