Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ear Infection 1, Chance 0


Well, last week's pesky ear infection was not phased by amoxicillin. Chance woke up last night complaining of a sore ear...actually, sore hands at first, and then he clarified it was his ear that was hurting. At 1:30 in the morning, after his hollering woke up Karin, I admit I was skeptical whether he was telling the truth or just making an excuse for waking up in the night (ie. having lost his blanket and panicking and then saying his ear hurt so that Mom didn't get mad about the screaming baby next door). No fever. I have been impatient with him for the last few days because he hasn't been listening to me when I'm talking. He does it with Cam too. The doctor at the walk in clinic said his ear was quite plugged and eardrums are quite red....reason for (some of his) selective hearing. We were given a prescription for something "zippier" than amoxicillin. I have dubbed him "Pluggy" and have been doing a lot of arm waving to get his attention.

We brought Karin too and had her ears checked for good measure. She has been waking up in the night basically since July when we were on vacation and last few nights has been up to 3 times in a night, wanting to be nursed. And lately she is putting up a royal fuss when done nursing and is placed back in her crib. When the doctor announced her ears were just fine, I looked at her and said "You, Miss, are cut off." The doctor laughed. Karin laughed. I didn't.

2 comments:

Grampa and Gramma Jo said...

Darn these pesky ears. If I have any ear trouble now Dr's tell me it stems from ear infections as young child. (not that I can remember). So here's hoping the zippier Rx gets rid of Chance's ear infection and paves the way for his wonderful "golden" years. ha!

Noah and Emily said...

Hoping Chance feels better soon! Hopefully Karin will start sleeping better for you. Maybe try letting her cry if you know she isn't hungry or wet or cold??