Thursday, October 22, 2009

Near Drowning


Today at lunch I nearly drowned in front of 9 senior citizens and a fitness instructor. I decided to join an aquasize class at the Y as it is such good exercise for pregnancy. The YMCA downtown has a lap pool and a training pool, where they do the aquasize classes. It has an adjustable bottom, so that when the kids come in, it is only 2 feet deep, and it gets deeper with adult classes.

Today's class was shallow water aquasize, so in 4 feet of water. I went down the ladder and then jumped off, fully expecting to land on my feet. NOPE! The pool bottom was WAY over my head and I went right down...actually never even felt the bottom so must have been 7 feet deep or something. When I came up I had water streaming out of my eyes, nose, everywhere!! And everyone was laughing at me! (Myself included). Must have read the schedule wrong and this week was deep water work out!

The class was great and once I got a pool noodle between my legs for flotation I was off & running. After the class was over the instructor stayed with me for a bit and we tried out the different styles of bands they have in the supply closet, so next time instead of just grabbing a pool noodle from the pool deck I can use one of those and it should be more comfy.