Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Oatmeal Cookies and Labour Fears

Hubby gained 100 bonus points tonight. The first thing I did once we got home from train station was crawl into bed for a nap. Woke up, put dinner in (I had made it the night before, just needed to cook it. If I'd been thinking straight I would have put it in to cook while I napped). I helped Cam back the camper back into the garage after he had put on new tires. Then we watched the baseball game/I read ANOTHER stinking baby book. I think this is when I mentioned that I had been thinking about oatmeal cookies all day for some stupid reason. Maybe Cam deserves 200 bonus points: 100 for actually listening to me during the baseball game, another 100 points for making me a batch of oatmeal cookies. From scratch. With raisins, because I like them (he made 1/2 the cookies without raisins for himself).

We started prenatal classes at the hospital last week. We did the usual meet&greet with all the other parents - there are approx 30 people in the class. Then discussed 3rd trimester pregnancy symptoms - everyone seemed to know PLENTY about those. Discussed early labour/warning signs that should be mentioned to the doctor immediately, etc. Then we watched a birth video. First off - the day had been a long one (I'd been in a team conflict workshop all day). Second - I was already emotionally sparked after one of my coworkers mentioned that his wife's pregnancy was not going well - the way he said it made it sound like he'd lost his baby. So I was bawling in the kitchen with my colleague who'd lost HER baby twin girls earlier this year. Thirdly: The woman in the birth video had opted out of an epidural, and the instructor told us this was an "easy" birth. I can tell you this: it sure didn't LOOK like much fun. So there I was in class - tired, emotionally charged, and scared as hell. So I bawled (for the 2nd time that day), only this time in front of 30 strangers. Yeesh. I am somewhat dreading this week's class. I'm considering walking in with a box of kleenex hung around my neck.

God I've got heartburn right now - how can you get heartburn from peanut butter on toast?? Better get some Tums before lying back down to sleep. (1:06 AM currently)

No comments: